DONATE THAT UNUSED VEHICLE
Don’t worry about trade-in values or having strangers come to your place. Donate your vehicle today to Goodwill. We accept most vehicles, running or not (some restrictions do apply). You will receive a tax deduction and your contribution helps fund our employment programs. Your vehicle provides hands-on job training to those with barriers in employment. Your donation is then resold at public sales and the revenue is used to fund education, job training, and career placement services for thousands of people with barriers to employment in Middle GA and the CSRA. Donate today and help those who are less fortunate get to work!
Donating a vehicle to Goodwill Industries is a donor-friendly process. Just fill out the online vehicle donation form or contact our customer service department toll-free at 1-866-LET IT GO (1-866-538-4846) to have your vehicle picked up free of charge. Some restrictions apply.
- To donate to Goodwill, the vehicle must be titled, registered in your name, and completely paid for with no liens.
- We accept most vehicles regardless of the model, make, or year. We also accept classic cars as well as boats on trailers, RVs, motorcycles and campers.
- Before calling 1-866-LET IT GO or filling out the online donation form, please have the vehicle title in front of you because it contains all the pertinent information. We will also need to know the current mileage of the vehicle. If you fill out the online donation form, a customer service representative will contact you to confirm receipt of the electronic form and arrange a pickup date.
- Please remember to remove the license tags and all personal items from the vehicle before it’s donated.
- You will receive a donation receipt once you sign the title over to Goodwill.
All vehicle donations are sold at a public car sale and the proceeds used to support Goodwill’s job training and placement programs.
Frequently asked questions about donating a car.
Donating a vehicle is easier than selling it on your own. You don’t have to pay for classified advertisements and strangers won’t be coming to your home haggling over a price you think is fair. Donating also helps support Goodwill’s job training and placement. Goodwill was the first nonprofit organization in the country to begin accepting vehicle donations.
Of every dollar donated to or generated by Goodwill, 86 cents goes toward fueling Goodwill’s mission to build lives, families, and communities – one career at a time.
All vehicles donated to Goodwill are resold at public sale.
We accept most vehicles, along with motorcycles, RVs, campers and boats on trailers.
Yes. When you fill out the online donation form, or call our toll free number, we can arrange towing if necessary. Some restrictions may apply.
Acknowledgment Required for Car Donations
Qualified organizations that receive car donations must give the donor a written acknowledgment of the donation. This rule generally applies if the claimed value of the donated vehicle is more than $500.
Boats, Aircraft, and other Vehicles
This rule also applies to donations of boats, aircraft, and any vehicle manufactured mainly for use on public streets, roads, and highways. However, this rule does not apply to donations of inventory.
Contents of Acknowledgement
The acknowledgment must include the following information:
- The donor’s name and taxpayer identification number.
- The vehicle identification number or similar number.
- A statement certifying the organization sold the car in an arm’s length transaction between unrelated parties.
- The gross proceeds from the sale.
- A statement that the donor’s charitable contribution deduction may not be more than the gross proceeds from the sale.
- The date of the contribution.
However, if there was significant intervening use of or material improvement to the car by the organization, the acknowledgment does not have to include the information in items 3, 4, and 5 above. Instead, it must contain a certification of the intended use of or material improvement to the car and the intended duration of that use and a certification that the vehicle will not be transferred in exchange for money, other property, or services before completion of that use or improvement.
This acknowledgment must be provided within 30 days of the sale of the car or, if there is significant intervening use or material improvement of the car by the organization, within 30 days of the contribution.
The organization also must provide this information to the IRS.
There is a penalty for knowingly furnishing a false or fraudulent acknowledgment or knowingly failing to furnish a required acknowledgment in the manner, at the time, and showing the information required. For details about this penalty, see section 6720 of the Internal Revenue Code.
You need to have your title ready. Do not fill out any section other than signing your name exactly as it is listed on your title. Don’t forget to have your car tag removed. It belongs to you.
Donate Your Car Now
Start the process of changing someones life by donating your car to Goodwill.